POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV and Quantum Mechanics? : Re: POV and Quantum Mechanics? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 21:40:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV and Quantum Mechanics?
From: Tim Cook
Date: 19 Jan 2002 16:39:32
Message: <3C49E792.62CAB2DC@scifi-fantasy.com>
Ron Parker wrote:
> Christopher James Huff wrote:
> > Wouldn't you have to keep track of the amount of light polarized
> > along each plane? Probably with some kind of spline relating
> > intensity of light to angle of polarization? A lot more data
> > for each ray...
> Compared to what we keep track of for dispersion?  Not really.

There's only 3 more values per ray for a more realistic simulation
of light; amplidude/frequency/rotation around axis of travel...?
Could probably do some interesting things with having materials
change the frequency of the light...

Speaking of something completely different...iridescence.  It's
an interference pattern between two surfaces of oil or similar,
how 'bout trying to do that the hard way in POV?  Should be
doable even in 3.1g...I think I'll play around with that and
such when I get back to my computer.